TEACHER CERTIFICATION #6
June 29 @ 10:00 am - July 17 @ 6:00 pm
The purpose of the Certification is to make sure that its participants possess:
- A thorough understanding of the Knight-Thompson approach to speech training.
- A thorough knowledge of the International Phonetic Alphabet and an ability to use it effectively in teaching.
- A thorough understanding of the Knight-Thompson approach to the methodology of accent training.
- An ability to productively use research resources for accent acquisition, as well as efficiently learn and effectively model new accents.
- A demonstrated ability to teach this material effectively and with full understanding.
- A demonstrated ability to use this approach creatively in teaching and coaching.
The emphasis in the Certification program will be on individual development and all participants will receive substantial individual attention and mentoring. Participation in the Certification program does not guarantee certification: in some cases we may require additional work to demonstrate understanding and teaching skill. Admission to the Teacher Certification Program is open only to participants who have already taken Experiencing Speech, Experiencing Accents and a Phonetics Intensive*. Prospective participants in the Teacher Certification Program also must have some experience incorporating this approach in their own teaching before going on to Certification.
*Participants who feel they have a strong and thorough understanding of the IPA and narrow transcription may try to “test-out” of this requirement, if desired.
To apply, please fill out the form here. After applying, you may be asked for a work sample.
Please note that application to the Cert does not guarantee admittance.
Upon acceptance, the enrollment fee for the Certification is $3,200. If you are accepted into the program, you will have to return to this page to pay the course fees.
In order to plan effectively for these workshops, it’s important to have a clear sense of the commitment of potential participants. For that reason, we ask for a deposit of $500 to secure your place in the workshop. This is due upon acceptance into the program. The full payment is due April 1st, 2020. If your plans change, and you are unable to attend, we will refund any payment less $100 if you inform us before April 15th, 2020. After that date, however, no refunds are possible. Please plan accordingly.