TEACHER CERTIFICATION #7 in London or Online
July 19, 2021 - August 6, 2021
The purpose of the Certification is to make sure that its participants possess:
- A thorough understanding of the Knight-Thompson approach to speech training.
- A thorough knowledge of the International Phonetic Alphabet and an ability to use it effectively in teaching.
- A thorough understanding of the Knight-Thompson approach to the methodology of accent training.
- An ability to productively use research resources for accent acquisition, as well as efficiently learn and effectively model new accents.
- A demonstrated ability to teach this material effectively and with full understanding.
- A demonstrated ability to use this approach creatively in teaching and coaching.
The emphasis in the Certification program will be on individual development, and all participants will receive substantial individual attention and mentoring. Participation in the Certification program does not guarantee certification: in some cases we may require additional work to demonstrate understanding and teaching skill. Admission to the Teacher Certification Program is open only to participants who have already taken Experiencing Speech, Experiencing Accents and a Phonetics Intensive. Prospective participants in the Teacher Certification Program also must have some experience incorporating this approach in their own teaching or coaching before going on to Certification.
Submit your application via this link. Then email an accent breakdown* and a link to an accent modelling sample to Knightthompsonspeechwork@gmail.com.
Requirements for Accent Breakdown: include a section for each of the 4 P’s as taught in Experiencing Accents; include cut sound samples and phonetic transcription for the Posture section and each of the token sounds in the Pronunciation section. An expanded version of a breakdown from Experiencing Accents coursework is acceptable.
Requirements for Accent Modelling sample: 2-3 minutes of modelling the accent from your breakdown. A memorized piece of text or an extemporaneous story are both acceptable.
*KTS acknowledges this accent breakdown is your intellectual property and will be used for application review purposes only.
Please note that application to the Cert does not guarantee admittance.
Upon acceptance, the enrollment fee for the Certification is $3,500 USD. If you are accepted into the program, you will return to this page to pay the course fees.
In order to plan effectively for these workshops, it’s important to have a clear sense of the commitment of potential participants. For that reason, we ask for a deposit of $500 to secure your place in the workshop. This is due upon acceptance into the program. The full payment is due June 1st, 2021. If your plans change, and you are unable to attend, we will refund any payment less $100 if you inform us before June 1st, 2021. After that date, however, no refunds are possible. Please plan accordingly.