- This event has passed.
Phonetics 101: IPA for Actors
May 20, 2017 @ 12:00 pm - 3:00 pm$99
Tickets go on sale Tuesday, April 25th.
In this 3-hr webinar, Master Teacher Erik Singer will teach the basics of phonetics and the International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA). Topics will include:
· What are all the different possible speech actions?
· Which languages and accents use these actions/sounds?
· How can we describe these actions in precise physical terms?
· How can I feel these actions in my own vocal tract?
· What are the IPA symbols for some of these actions?
· What’s the difference between a vowel sound and a consonant sound?
· What can I use phonetics for? How do I use it?
· Will learning phonetics make me better at accents?
· How can I keep learning phonetics and improving my skills?
For those who have taken previous Knight-Thompson Speechwork accent intensives, please note that this workshop is specifically aimed at actors, and does not assume any prior speech or accent training. Teachers and coaches are welcome, but in order to make the workshop maximally accessible to all, it will be considerably less information-dense than some previous Knight-Thompson offerings.